The ISHS Pineapple Working Group (PWG) operates under the ISHS Section on Tropical Fruits and Subtropical Fruits and its main function is the organization and convening of symposia on pineapple.
Go back to the Pineapple Working Group web page at the ISHS Website
General References on Pineapple
- Proceedings of the International Symposia on Pineapple are published in Acta Horticulturae.
- Bartholomew, D.P. R. Paull, and K.G. Rohrbach (eds.). 2003. The Pineapple: Botany, Production and Uses. CABI Publishing, Wallingford. 320 pages. The cost of the book is $120. You can purchase the book at CAB International
- Garita Coto, Rafael Ángel. 2014. La Piña. Editorial Tecnológica de Costa Rica. [ISBN: 978-9977-66-301-2] 568 pp. (In Spanish). Given the importance of pineapple cultivation in the productive development of the American continent, this work constitutes a learning tool for people interested in knowing the different aspects that make up the process of cultivation, production, marketing and consumption. This book provides readers with a series of chapters that address the history of pineapple, the advance from the jungles of Brazil, where it is located, until reaching the tropics of the world, where it is grown. In addition, it presents its agriculture in the different facets, from the production of seed, preparation of the soils and planting, until arriving at the production, process in which other activities that lead to its consumption arise. Available from Amazon.com.
- O abacaxizeiro: Cultivo, agroindústria e economia (The pineapple plant: Cultivation, agroindustry and economy --In Portugese), 480 pages, with more than 120 photos. The book, organized by Getúlio Augusto Pinta da Cunha, José Renato Santos Cabral and Luiz Francisco da Silva Souza, researchers from Embrapa's National Research Center for Cassava and Tropical Fruit Crops, Cruz das Almas, Bahia, Brazil, has 16 chapters, each written by specialists. Chapters cover breeding, propagation, climate and soils, all aspects of cultivation, irrigation, pests, diseases, post-harvest and economy, with 700 references. The book syntheszes the work and experience of 11 Brazilian scientists, many with more than 20 years dedicated to pineapple. The book can be purchased from EMBRAPA-SCT, SAIN Parque Rural, Av. W 3 Norte (final), Cx. P. 040315, 69.769-901 Brasília, Brazil. Phone: 61 348 4236 or 348 4155; Fax: 61 272 4168.
- The book Py, L, J.J. Lacoeuilhe, and C. Teisson. (1987) The pineapple; cultivation and uses. IRFA, 6, rue du General Clergerie, 75116 Paris, France. 568 pages, has recently been released into the public domain and has been digitized by Hamiltion Library, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, Hawaii. Digitized copies of the above as well as the 1984 version in French can be obtained at no charge at https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10524/55419