The ISHS Pineapple Working Group (PWG) operates under the ISHS Section on Tropical Fruits and Subtropical Fruits and its main function is the organization and convening of symposia on pineapple.
Go back to the Pineapple Working Group web page at the ISHS Website
General References on Pineapple
- Proceedings of the International Symposia on Pineapple are published in Acta Horticulturae.
- Broadley, R.H., R.C. Wassman III and E. Sinclair (eds.). 1993. Pineapple pests and disorders. DPI Publications, Queensland, GPO Box 46, Brisbane Q. 4001, Australia. 63 pages. To purchase the book connect to the Queensland DPI Products and Services pages. The cost of the book is $A35.00. The contents includes: Key to pests and disorders, The pineapple plant, Diseases (fungal, bacterial, viral, nematodes), Pests (symphyla, insects, mites, birds, mammals), Nutritional disorders, Other disorders, and Weeds. The book includes 137 color plates and was written for the Australian grower of Smooth Cayenne pineapple, but it is applicable world-wide because most of the problems encountered in Australia are found in other pineapple growing regions.
- Bartholomew, D.P. R. Paull, and K.G. Rohrbach (eds.). 2003. The Pineapple: Botany, Production and Uses. CABI Publishing, Wallingford. 320 pages. The cost of the book is $120. You can purchase the book at CAB International
- O abacaxizeiro: Cultivo, agroindústria e economia (The pineapple plant: Cultivation, agroindustry and economy --In Portugese), 480 pages, with more than 120 photos. The book, organized by Getúlio Augusto Pinta da Cunha, José Renato Santos Cabral and Luiz Francisco da Silva Souza, researchers from Embrapa's National Research Center for Cassava and Tropical Fruit Crops, Cruz das Almas, Bahia, Brazil, has 16 chapters, each written by specialists. Chapters cover breeding, propagation, climate and soils, all aspects of cultivation, irrigation, pests, diseases, post-harvest and economy, with 700 references. The book syntheszes the work and experience of 11 Brazilian scientists, many with more than 20 years dedicated to pineapple. The book can be purchased from EMBRAPA-SCT, SAIN Parque Rural, Av. W 3 Norte (final), Cx. P. 040315, 69.769-901 Brasília, Brazil. Phone: 61 348 4236 or 348 4155; Fax: 61 272 4168.
- The following book is no longer in print but may be obtainable from a used book seller. Py, L, J.J. Lacoeuilhe, and C. Teisson. 1987. The pineapple; cultivation and uses. IRFA, 6, rue du General Clergerie, 75116 Paris, France. 568 pages. This comprehensive book on pineapple covers all aspects of the plant, its climatic and soil requirements, management practices, and post-harvest processing are covered in the book.